Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Senior Age

I get it!!! I know many of you who read things I write….are of let’s say the “senior age” and we’re not talking about High School. We’ve reached that certain criteria of being labeled as old coots by the younger generation. I’m constantly bombarded with emails these days on Medicare sign up, insurance supplement companies all vying for me to sign up before I reach 65!! Hitting 63 a few months ago was bad enough but I don’t need help in being reminded daily that I’M OLDER!!! My knee and hip do a wonderful job of keeping me grounded in knowing I am getting older without the help of daily emails saying I’m hitting closer and closer.

All of us are growing older. Face it…..none of us have the fountain of youth. I joke many times and say I wish I could bottle up half the energy of my 3 Grandkids as they go crazy running all over the yard and want this old Gma to chase them or keep up with them….or climb up in the tree house. Sweet Ella always asks me to try and go down the slide….to which Gma tells her there won’t be a slide anymore if old Gma goes down it. Even as I watch my Grand-kids growing older, it reminds me of my age.

Stuff in commercials all the time sending out messages on things that will keep us younger. Face lifts, creams, potions, you name it try to show us we can look and feel younger, when in reality….we are the age we are. Some of us don’t have to act our age though and then again…..some would do better if they did act their age. Gray hair, reading glasses, larger prints books…..you name it, reminders of age.

My brother and his wife were here over the weekend and we got to talking about what we use to could do and how we don’t have the physical stamina we once had. Our minds still say we can do that….but reality hits us in the stomach of….yeah, try that and you’ll be sorry! I’m not one for throwing in the towel either….and I’ve not called a truce with time and going to just plop in a rocking chair and not do some living, however with my older age does come some wisdom to not be stupid!!!

What matters most to me is not trying to look younger or act younger, but to focus on things that matter most to me. God is number one on my list and then my family and friends. I am the age I am and I can’t change when I was born. I know many who have a fight daily with trying to act or be younger. My motto has become: “Age is mind over matter. I don’t mind my age, so it don’t matter.” Again….what does matters is how I am letting God still be in my life and using me and I don’t have to look a certain way or try to be something I am not.


“So we aren’t depressed. But even if our bodies are breaking down on the outside, the person that we are on the inside is being renewed every day.” (2 Corinthians 4:16 CEB)

No comments:

Post a Comment