Tuesday, October 10, 2017

HAD TO HAVE IT!

I chuckle at the State Farm commercial where the lady is saying she saw this suede couch and JUST HAD TO HAVE IT….then it switches to the crooks in her living room talking about the same couch and when the crook saw it….HE HAD TO HAVE IT….it was suede!  It got me thinking about everybody wants something.  No matter how old or young we are….everybody wants something.  Today we are bombarded with the newest, latest, and greatest of stuff that says our life won’t be good if we don’t have it.  We won’t be with it or up to date.  I just got a new alert on my cell phone of an update……and if I don’t download the new update then my phone won’t be up to the latest.  Trends, fads, and styles all come and go and in between we all want it!

Sadly for many we find that what we thought we wanted was not what we needed.  It didn’t fill the hole or void in our life and we went on to finding something else or someone else new.  In the wake we have loads of regrets too.  The should have, could haves and wish we hadn’t done.  For some we found out the very thing we thought was going to be best, turned into the worst thing we ever had or done.  Maybe trying to keep up with others has left us in a storm of debt that we’re trying to stay floating and are slowly being covered up by the wave of over spending.  We ended up with something bad and not so green looking after all and we’re left with hurt and pain.

I’m not coming down of folks for getting things as I buy things too but we all need to be reminded to not get caught up in “the trying to keep up with the Jones’s” game.  When we don’t stop and see all the things we are already blessed with, that is when we start thinking the grass is greener on the other side of the fence and if not careful we get to a point where we are truly unhappy.  Always good to be reminded now and then to be thankful for what we already have.  


Not that I was ever in need, for I have learned how to be content with whatever I have.  I know how to live on almost nothing or with everything. I have learned the secret of living in every situation, whether it is with a full stomach or empty, with plenty or little.  For I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength.”  (Philippians 4:11-13 NLT)

No comments:

Post a Comment